Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is Anyone Impressed?

It has been about a month since Baltimore Sun Columnist Dan Rodricks took over the midday slot for Dan Rodricks on WYPR. Your Public Radio Corporation asked us to give them a chance to show that they can do something better than they guy they threw out of the building, Marc Steiner.So I have to ask…are you impressed with him, because I surely am not.


I happen to tune in one day. The topic of hour one was Wal-Mart. Yeah, I’m sorry that story was real hot…in 2006. The second hour was about grammar…it was National Grammar Day when I listened (I did not know there was such a thing.) The replacement show does not have any teeth and has been dealing with mostly magazine type stuff. This observation is based on what I read on their website on what aired that day.

In short, there has not been any vast improvement of Steiner’s show…as a matter of fact, Marc Steiner was way better and Rodricks cannot hold a candle to him at this point.WYPR’s management said that they wanted a show that addressed the issues of Marylanders, not just Baltimoreans. I don’t think National Grammar Day is a hard-hitting issue, involving Marylanders. I personally don’t care about what happens with a discarded cell phone. I would home that most people would donate them to organizations that fix them up and give them to people in need. And let me tell you the difference between 1908 and 2008…you are reading this post written by a black guy….need I go further?

But that’s just me, what do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My issue with Steiner and Rodricks' show, though I am no fan of either, is simply timing. I have a job during the day; don't have time to listen into a chat show while at work. Back in the day, I sometimes would be interested in a subject Steiner was covering (I have since come to my senses) and would try to listen in. Then in the evening, they would replay the show (dinner time), but it was just a recording and you could not call in. How stupid is that? In any event, I donn't think I have even had my radio on that station for the last 6 or 7 years. (I used to listen to the Cartalk guys; then they got political; geeze)

Daniel said...

Somehow, I can't even picture Rodricks as a radio personality.

I tried reading his columns a few times in the paper only to ask myself - is this filler, or what?

ShareThis